Thursday, March 13, 2008

sister issues

I had the sudden epiphany that it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep posting lengthy, odd notes on facebook and myspace when I remembered that I, too, have a blog. See, my sister is the one who has the thing about blogging, which in my mind automatically suggests that I do something else.
If I write creative, she writes curriculum.
If she writes fiction, I write nonfiction.
If I write poetry, she writes prose.
If she writes poetry...well, that works as well as me writing LSAT prep material.
She loves Hemingway and I love Fitzgerald.
We never have long hair at the same time, only one of us is Mom's best friend at any given time, and I reverted to Paganism from Christianity shortly after she returned to the Catholic Church.
From this anyone can easily deduct that we're pretty much the same. When we had dogs, they matched. (Hers was evil and mine was nice, though.)
We disagree on politics currently: she says the Consitutional damage is done and the election doesn't matter, while I'm planning for Hillary to take her place on the Supreme Court if she doesn't win.
And I always voted for Hastert after I knew the family and found out that Denny's environmental politics were not like the rest of the kids in his party. Of course, I wouldn't have met them had she not schooled me on the evils of Right-Wingers around the time I was refusing to learn division. I saw his son Josh one day between classes. Being that he was a friend of friends, I thought it quite appropriate to point at him and yell, "YOUR DAD IS A BAD MAN!" When he came out from hiding behind the tree and apologized, it turned out he was an anarchist. Then we were best friends for some years.
She's a mom, and I'm that horrible prodigal aunt who brings presents because I'm not around much.
Only about half of the presents are age appropriate, since my niece is being raised as a regular kid. She's 12, and I think she still likes Harry Potter. I think I was a year past Updike at her age. (Nice to have a practice kid, eh, Tiff? Did Mom really know you were preparing me for the People's Revolution when I was in high school? Yeah, I guess she probably thought it would keep me away from the "druggies.")
But damnit, why can't I use my blog, too? I'm going to, and that is not negotiable, Blog Queen. Maybe Jackie Mitchard's sister will join me. Hmmph.
I wonder how it went down for the Bronte sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home